Friday 3 April 2009

Dinner for two...plus salt.(J)

Well. Yujiro left me to it. Threw me in the deep end.
He left me alone for the weekend with Okaasan.

OH NO! Oh yes. Oh my god.

His ski race staff job came through and late afternoon he e mailed me to say he'd decided it was best to stay up at the ski school TWO nights...and come home Sunday afternoon.

Shocked and scared. That was my feeling. Only 2 nights after the spaghetti and salt fiasco I was going to have to "do" Okaasan for two meals at least...and talk...and help...etc etc...

But I want Yujiro to have time away from the domestic dramas. He needs guys time drinking beer and talking about skiing. He hasn't had that all winter. And this ultimately is what I've signed up for - when he is away working I will HAVE to feed Okaasan and have a life with her. So, jump in and get on with it.

So I came home from work at 6 pm with a panicky feeling. The house was empty. I hunted round the fridge - trying to decide what to do. This? That? or this? aghhh!!!

I decided on Spanish Omelet, the remains of the shrimp sauce from the spaghetti drama, canned crab salad, rice, miso soup...all doable. Not exciting. But doable. My mother used to make Spanish omelet. I can do this.

Okaasan came home at 6.45 pm. She asked where Yujiro was and seemed ok with the fact that he is : "away working"....

I politely refused her offers of kitchen help and while she watched TV in her living room I put dinner together.

We sat down to it about 7.20 pm. I secretly added more salt to her omelet and salad.
We ate and sat and chatted. Amazingly - she has FINISHED the living room curtain sewing!!!! So I praised her sewing and the sewing topic led on to how she'd sewn military uniforms at school during the war, and how Kawagoe had been spared American bombs and how there wasn't any rice to eat, and how they'd only eaten yams etc etc
We did the same topics quite a few times. She ate the food. Chatted away. Didn't add salt to it. Ate it all. Praised the soup.

Finally at 8.30 pm we'd finished. She started washing plates and I cleared the table. At that point the chair I'd been sitting on fell apart - I guess it was the strain of my nervous excitement or something. (actually I think the leg was wonky before and Yujiro has obviously failed to repair it). But Okaasan and I both had a giggle about it.

Agh. I did it. Dinner at home with just me and Okaasan.
It wasn't great. But it was ok. And she seemed happy enough chatting away with her wartime memories. I've now come upstairs to watch TV with the cat. And I am on my second beer.
This weekend will be an interesting one.

2009年4月3日

二人の夕食・・・プラス塩

そうなの。ユウがわたし一人に任せたの。ワタシを窮地に落とし入れたのよ。

彼はワタシ一人でお義母さんと週末を過ごさせるようにしたの。

まさか! そうよね。さあ、大変。

彼のスキー競技の係員としての仕事が入ってきたのよ。午後遅く彼はワタシにメールで、二晩スキースクールに泊り込むのが一番だと決めたことを言ってきたの・・・帰宅は日曜の午後だって。

ショックだったし怖かったわ。そうワタシは感じたの。スパゲッティと塩の大失敗のから二晩しか経っていないのに、ワタシはお義母さんのことをしなければならなくなったの。少なくとも二食作って、話をし、手助けをし、そのほかいろんなことをね。

でもワタシはユウに家庭内の出来事から逃げ出す時間を持ってほしいの。彼にはビールを飲みスキーのことを話す男たちの時間が必要だわ。冬中そんなことがなかったんですもの。

ワタシが同意したのは、最終的にはこういうことよね。彼が働きに出ればワタシはお義母さんの食事を用意しなければならなくなり、お義母さんと生活を共にする、ってこと。だから、飛び込んでさっさとやるべきことをやるわ。

それで、ワタシは6時にパニック状態で仕事から家に戻ったの。家はからっぽだったわ。ワタシは冷蔵庫を探し回って、何にするか決めようとしたの。これは? それは? それともこっちは? あーあ。

ワタシはスペイン風オムレツに決めたわ。スパゲッティ事件の小エビのソースの残り物、かに缶のサラダ、ご飯、お味噌汁・・・全部できそうだわ。わくわくするようなものじゃないけど、できるものだわ。ワタシの母がスペイン風オムレツをよく作ったものよ。これはできるわ。

お義母さんは6時45分に家に帰ってきたわ。お義母さんはユウがどこかを尋ね、彼が仕事に出かけたという事実にそれで構わないみたいだったわ。

ワタシは台所を手伝うというお義母さんの申し出を丁寧に断り、お義母さんが自分の部屋でテレビを見ている間に夕食を作り上げたの。

ワタシたちは大体7時20分に食卓についたわ。ワタシはこっそりお義母さんのオムレツとサラダに余計に塩をかけたの。

ワタシたちは食べて座って話したの。驚いたことに、お義母さんはリビングルームのカーテンを縫い終わっていたのよ!!!ワタシはお義母さんの裁縫の腕をほめたたえ、その裁縫の話題は、戦時中お義母さんが学校で軍服を縫っていたとか、川越がアメリカの攻撃を免れたとか、食べるお米がなくてヤマノイモだけを食べていた、とかいうことにつながっていったわ。ワタシたちは同じ話題を何回も話したの。お義母さんは食べ、おしゃべりしたわ。塩はかけずに、全部食べ、スープをほめた。

最終的に8時30分に食事が終わったの。お義母さんはお皿を洗い始め、ワタシはテーブルを片付けたの。そのとき、ワタシが座っていたイスがばらばらに壊れたの・・・それはワタシの神経の興奮かなんかでイスに負担がかかったんじゃないかと思うわ。(実際に以前にその脚はぐらぐらしていたの。ユウは明らかに修理に失敗したんだわ。)お義母さんとワタシは二人ともくすくす笑ったのよ。

あーあ。ワタシはやったわ。ワタシとお義母さんだけの家の夕食。

素晴らしくもなかったけど、問題なしよ。それにお義母さんは戦争中の思い出を話して十分に幸せそうだった

ワタシは今はネコとテレビを見るのに二階に上がってきたの。そして2本目のビールの真っ最中。この週末は面白いことになりそうだわ。

No comments:

Post a Comment