Thursday 2 April 2009

Food fights.(J)

Yesterday started out well...and ended in tears.

Beautiful sunny day.
We decided to start trying to retrain Okaasan to feed herself at lunchtimes - because now there is a kitchen full of food and even if she doesn't cook, she should be able to find enough things to eat. Since December Yujiro has been cooking lunch for her almost every day - and we agreed it's time to break that routine and free him up. Hopefully he'll start work sometime soon...

He told her: "I'm out this morning, so look after your own mid-day meal ok?" about 10 am.
Then he went out shopping.

I made a 1 pm appointment at my hair salon for Okaasan and after telling her that we'd set out together at 12.30 to walk there I disappeared upstairs to unpack boxes and arrange my new bookshelves. It was sunny, I listened to pop music on YouTube...the cat snoozed in the sun. Happiness!

Around midday Yujiro came back with the shopping. I made ham and cheese sandwiches quickly and we sat down at the kitchen table to eat.

Okaasan drifted into the kitchen.
"Eh, looks delicious. Did I eat? What am I going to eat?"
"Didn't you eat something yet? We told you, look there is food here in the fridge, there is food here in the cupboard."
"Really? Can I eat anything? What should I eat? Is there any rice? etc etc...."

AGHHHHH!!!!!
Yujiro stood up and grabbed an Instant Noodles pack and showed Okaasan how to boil water on the new electric cooker, showed her the instructions on the pack etc. We continued eating, she managed to cook the Instant Noodles - and finally at 12.20 pm she sat down to eat.
I called the hair salon to change the appointment time.

AGHHH. She's a long way off being able to "do" her own midday meal. Even remembering to eat something, never mind something as complex as cooking. But we have to get her into this routine - even if she has some hungry days with not much food. At the very least she can help herself to yogurt, rice crackers, fruit or cup soups. Or does she need public food delivery already? Maybe?

After that I took her to the hair salon and left her there in the care of my hairdresser Hiroshi. We went to our old apartment to return the keys and give goodbye presents to friendly, wonderful neighbors...I felt a little sad to see our old home and street. It reminded me of my old, uncomplicated life...before Okaasan.

In the evening I cooked spaghetti. Added salt of course. Garlic, chilli peppers in the sauce etc. Can't go wrong with spaghetti. Or so I thought. Just in case I put a bottle of soy sauce and the salt pot on the table in front of Okaasan's mat.

Silent eating. Okaasan and Yujiro said a few: "Hmm, delicious"...but not really with any enthusiasm. When he cooks he is lavish in praise about his own cooking (he's that kind of person) and she echoes his enthusiasm.
I made a few sharp/joke/but not-joke comments about being a disappointed Oyome-san...they repeated their polite "hmm, delicious".
Then Okaasan started adding salt on her food. And she added. And again.
FOUR times she sprinkled salt on her spaghetti! Four times!

I wasn't happy. I made comments about her taste ability. She made comments about how Japanese people like salty food. Yujiro was in the middle.

NOT a happy family dinner!
Afterwards she washed up the dishes. Yujiro and I had a tense, whispered Calm Down conversation in the utility room. My insides were churning with frustration and anger.

I don't care how much salt she puts on her food really. She's already 76 and she can eat unhealthy food if she wants. And of course the four times is probably because she's forgotten that she's already added it.

I guess what really really gets me is that I would love there to be some happiness at the table when I'VE cooked!. I'm not a great cook. But I'm not a bad cook. I would love the feeling at the table to be celebration...not silent, critical eating.

Late last night I sent an e mail to a friend and made escape plans for dinner tonight. I'll meet her after work and go out to dinner with her. I don't want to be here tonight.


Is this my life? For the next 10 years or more. Grudging thanks for my dinners? Surpressed rage? The old: "Japanese people like salt" conversations.
I crave more than this.

2009年4月2日(木)

食事戦争

きのう、最初はよかったんだけど、最後は涙だったの。

美しく晴れあがった日。

ワタシたちはお昼を自分で食べるようお義母さんの再教育にトライすることを始めようって決めたの。だって、今は食べ物にあふれた台所があって、お義母さんが料理をしなくても十分に食べ物を見つけることができるんですもの。12月以来、ユウはほとんど毎日お義母さんのためにお昼を作ってきたわ。それで、ワタシたちはその役目から彼を自由にする時が来たって思ったのよ。どうか、彼が近いうちすぐに働き始めますように・・・

彼はお義母さんに言ったわ:“きょうの午前中は出かけるから、お昼の自分の食事は自分でしてくれる?”10時ごろだったわ。

それから彼は買い物に行ったの。

ワタシはお義母さんのためにワタシの行きつけの美容室の予約を午後1時にとり、12時30分にいっしょに出かけて歩いていくことをお義母さんに話したあとで、箱を開けて新しい本棚を片付けるのに二階に行ったの。いいお天気で、ワタシはユーチューブでポップミュージックを聴き・・・ネコは陽だまりでまどろんでいたわ。幸せ!

ユウはお昼ぐらいに買い物から戻ってきたの。ワタシは手早くハムとチーズのサンドイッチを作って二人でキッチンテーブルに座ったの。

お義母さんがいつの間にか台所にやってきて、

“あら、おいしそうね。私は食べたかしら?私は何を食べればいいの?”

“まだ食べてないの? 言ったじゃないか。食べるものはこの冷蔵庫にもあるし、ここの食器棚にもあるから見て、って。”

“本当?私食べていいの?何を?ご飯はあるの?・・・・”

あーあ!!!!!

ユウが立ち上がりインスタントラーメンのパックをつかんで、お義母さんに新しい電磁調理器でのお湯の沸かし方を教え、パックにある作り方なんかを指示したの。ワタシたちは食べ続け、お義母さんは何とかインスタントラーメンを作ったわ。そして、やっと12時20分にお義母さんは座って食べたの。

ワタシは美容室に予約時間の変更の電話をしたわ。

あーあ。お義母さんが自分でお昼の食事ができるのはまだまだ先のことだわ。食べることを思い出すことでさえそうなんだから、料理のような複雑なことはとてもとても。でも、ワタシたちはこの日常の仕事をお義母さんにしてもらわなければならないわ。たとえお義母さんが十分な食べ物なしのひもじい数日を送るとしてもね。少なくともお義母さんはヨーグルトやおせんべいや果物やカップスープを自分で食べられるわ。それとも、もう公的な給食が必要? もしかしたら?

そのあと、ワタシはお義母さんを美容室に連れて行き、ワタシの担当の美容師のひろしさんにお義母さんを預けたの。ワタシたちは鍵を返したり、親切で素晴らしいお隣さんたちにお別れのプレゼントを渡すのに古い家へ行ったの。ワタシは古い家と通りをみてちょっぴりさみしかったわ。それはワタシに以前のワタシを思い出させたわ。複雑でない人生・・・お義母さんが来る前の。

夜、ワタシはスパゲティーを作ったの。もちろん塩を入れてね。ソースの中にはにんにく、唐辛子なんかをね。スパゲティーなら間違いなしよ。いえ、ワタシはそう思ったわ。万一のため、ワタシはしょうゆと塩をお義母さんのマットの前に置いたの。

静かな食事だったわ。お義母さんとユウは“うーん、おいしいね”ってちょっと言った。でも、本心ではなかった。彼が料理するとき、その自分の作った料理をさんざん自画自賛するのよ。(彼ってそういうタイプ)そして、お義母さんも彼に同調するの。

ワタシはオヨメサンががっかりしているっていう少し辛口のジョーク、でもジョークではないことを言ったの。二人は礼儀正しく繰り返したわ。“うーん、おいしいね”

それからお義母さんは自分の皿に塩をかけ始めたの。何度もね。

お義母さんは4回塩を振りかけたのよ!4回も!

ワタシはいい気分じゃなかったわ。ワタシはお義母さんの味の嗜好について言い、お義母さんは日本人がいかに塩辛い食べ物が好きかを言った。ユウはその真ん中にいたわ。

不幸な家族の食卓!

そのあと、お義母さんはお皿を洗い、ユウとワタシはピリピリして、ユーティリティルームで気を落ち着けるための会話を小声でしたのワタシはフラストレーションと怒りではらわたが煮えくり返るようだったわ。

ワタシは本当のところ、お義母さんが自分の食事にかける塩がいくらだって構いはしないわ。お義母さんはもう76歳で、もしそうしたいのなら身体に悪いものを食べることができるわ。それにもちろん、4回かけるのはたぶんお義母さんがすでにかけたことを忘れちゃっているからなんだわ。

ワタシが本当に頭にきたのは、自分が料理したとき、食卓に多少の幸福があってほしいと思っているからだわ。ワタシは腕のいいコックではないわ。でも悪くもない。ワタシはお祝いの席の感じが好きなの・・・無言で、批判的に食べるんじゃなくて。

昨夜遅くワタシは友人にメールして、今晩の夕食から逃げ出す計画をたてたの。仕事のあと彼女と会っていっしょに食事にでかけるの。今晩はここにいたくないの。

これがワタシの人生なの?これからの10年間、いえもっと。

ワタシの作った夕食にいやいやの感謝ですって? 怒りを抑えろって?

昔からの“日本人は塩がすき”って話。

これよりもいい状況を心から望んでいるわ。

No comments:

Post a Comment