Sunday 21 January 2018

Oh! There you are...

First visit to Okaasan for 2018 - slightly guilty about that.
But she, of course, is fine. Has no concept of time, so when I pull up a chair and sit beside her as she watches TV in the care home lounge - she has no idea how long or short I've been away. Just happy to see me.

I spent an hour with her: drinking coffee, eating snacks, watching Tv, wheeling her to the 1st floor and a 1 minute trip beyond the doors into cold winter sunshine, then sitting at another window looking at the city view and commenting on snow and sunshine. A toilet visit in the wheelchair.

She was mainly happy and laughing. Easy to joke with. I noticed she tried to stand up more than before - good...and worrying...because if she tries that when nobody is watching and isn't so strong, and falls....

Next week Dear Son will accompany her to the physical training session and try to make THAT a positive place.

But for now I am satisfied that she is ok. The home is good enough - more mental stimulation would be better, more physical activity...but it is what it is. A safe place, with a Tv, meals, supervised toilet visits. It's a small world, but protected. If I were a non-working woman and were home all day to constantly check on her then she could live with us - but not now.

And still we wait to hear WHAT we are going to do with her old rooms at home. The cats, occasional guests, drying laundry....it is wasted space. The house owners are dragging their feet on our request to move my English school to the house. I need to know soon.....March is the time when things end and change happens in Japan.

Cross fingers for day care success.

No comments:

Post a Comment