Friday 19 January 2018

Happy mode...and waiting.

Dear Son has been to the care home several times and reports Okaasan seems happy and settled into her room and the lounge on the 10th floor. All well.
Next week he will go and join Okaasan as the staff try to take her to the 3rd floor again for day service - walking and activities etc. Hoping that she will be more accepting this time of a new place, because he is with her.

It's sad though - only 2 months ago at the hospital she enjoyed it when we took her in the wheelchair to other floors, other windows and other views. I guess her necessary-world is getting smaller? Makes me wonder if we will actually be able to do the little trips out in the car to lunches etc that we plan for spring....

Dear Son gets Okaasan to walk a bit when he visits. Gets her standing and leaning on the walking frame - to exercise up and down the 10th floor corridors. He says she is ok, but too fast - obviously not understanding the relationship between her power and the wheels and the inherent danger. The 10th floor staff don't walk with her like this - it isn't part of their service - and until she can use this frame safely on her own she is still in the wheelchair....which she ALSO doesn't use herself. She waits for someone to push her.....
He says that when he visits he pushes her wheelchair just outside the care home doors into sunshine - which she enjoys. And then back to the 10th floor.

Hopefully Jan 24th day service visit will be a success.

Me? I haven't actually seen Okaasan since December 31st!!!! Which is why this blog has been silent.

The first few days of New Year I was busy being selfish and enjoying hours and hours of British TV dramas on Netflix. I planned to go to Okaasan. There was skiing and dinner and lunches with friends...
Then I got influenza....3 days of bed and blurrr....followed by a week of coughing and tiredness.
And then work started again.
So. Those are my excuses! I will go this weekend...I have to. Cos I just wrote it here.

On into 2018.

2 comments:

  1. Check your page every day......just in case you wrote something. I am currently living with my 93 year old mother in law and she has dementia. It is like having a toddler...no logic but lots of laughs... I am happy the home seem to be working out but I think you will have to accept that the staff will do as little as possible and her world will shrink more and more...we are trying to keep Baachan at home (going to daycare on weekdays) as long as possible but I don't know how long I can keep doing both full time job and Baachan on weekends..... Thank you for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read your blog today, I check it every day. The home seem like a good place but the staff will only do as little as they can and so I think you will have to accept that her world will shrink more and more. My 93 year old MIL is disappearing right in front of our eyes into a child like bubble of constant repeating and fussing...now she goes to day care weekdays while I work but evenings and weekends I have her...it is like she is one of my grandkids..just not growing up....please keep blogging... Anna

    ReplyDelete