Saturday 4 November 2017

Okaasan's Care Home!

Just writing that title makes me happy!!! :-)

Forgive me if I break off every now and then to go do a happy dance....

One stage of Okaasan and Me life is finished, and the next stage is in motion.

Wednesday we went back to the hospital/care home to check out various points, got shown round by 3 staff...bathrooms, rooms, recreation room again, huge confusing discussion about financing (even the people working in welfare in Japan are confused by the government's latest tweaks)...and finally...

We were standing in the recreation room - when Dear Son said to me:
"So? What do you think?"
"About here? It's good. It's got everything. Yes, I think we should choose a room..."

And he agreed. The staff laughed, because it was obvious who wears the pants in decision making in this couple, and we all went back upstairs and looked at the three vacant rooms. Proximity to nurse station, wheelchair toilet, view, light...

And decided on Okaasan's room :-)    :-)

One of the smaller rooms, but big enough for bed and furniture - that we will rent and bring from home. A view of an apartment building, a bit of the city and mountains. Next to the toilet. Within sight of the nurse station.
The atmosphere on a weekday in the whole place was different: residents, families and various care workers around. A gaggle of old ladies watching TV, an old man sorting thru newspapers and more mobile residents taking walks around. It felt all good.
Her floor has about 15 rooms, a lounge with TV etc where that floor residents eat together. Lots of toilets, bathrooms. Downstairs is the recreation room with exercise machines and a central table where handicrafts etc take place.

It's not Florida. No garden. Just a nicely decorated tower block in the city center. But it is light and clean. I hope Okaasan will settle into life there - her own room with things around her, the lounge with the TV and outings with us locally.
He chose downtown because it will be easy for him to go before or after work in summer. In winter I can get there on Tuesdays after work, and by car at other times. There is a hospital in the building if she needs help in any way.

After the room was chosen we went downstairs again and he filled out the application forms. He looked knackered after it all. I was doing happy dances in my brain - finally!! Finally! - but we quietly went out separate ways to work. Had a quiet dinner and small discussion that night.

Okaasan is going to move from our home and daily care to a care home.

Never thought I'd be able to write that!

When? In the next 2 weeks maybe? Lots of official paperwork to be done.

I've started thinking what things from her room here at home we should move - and we already started to make plans to move my English school here. have to ask the house owners etc and make plans for THAT. It'll be interesting too see which of my students reads this blog and understands that the school may move....so far students have heard me talk about moving Okaasan, without making the next-thought-step: what about your big house?  It's a home we rented for three people to live. far too big for just two of us - and I will be very very Home Alone here this winter.
But moving the English School will be financially a good idea, and will use the space.

I haven't told the cat yet. He thinks the room off the kitchen, the blanket, the sofa....all his....

6 comments:

  1. I am very happy for you, and for her. She will be fine. You did a superb job all those years. I wish you all the very best for this new life stage.

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I couldn't have done it without all of you lot!!! Giving me courage to battle on....being firm when you needed to be with me :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on successfully finding a good care home for Okaasan. After you've taken some time to settle into the next chapter of your lives, can I suggest that you consider turning your blog into a book. I have really enjoyed watching your story unfold - you capture the difficulty, the frustration, the boredom so well but also the love that comes from caring so beautifully. I think it could be helpful and encouraging to others finding themselves in a caring role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Wow. I don't know....once I escape this particular cycle of life, will I ever want to think about it again??!! I think also - while she is still alive....various privacy things would come into play...with the family (what remains of it)...
      Anyway...it isn't over yet....HOW she takes to care home is the next stage of it all...onwards to a New Year where I DON'T have to worry about Japanese New Year food!!!!!

      Delete
  3. FINALLY! I'm happy for you! I believe that a care home is best for everyone. Even though dear son may feel guilty, I hope he will soon see that Okaasan is content and well looked after, and you both can enjoy your home life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I am going to enjoy a whole winter to myself - me and my life...with cats....and skiing and going to the gym.....freeeeeedom!!!

      Delete