Sunday 26 November 2017

Room setting up...

So.

Sunday morning. With slight hangovers from DS's birthday dinner the night before...he and I are sitting in our socks on the floor of the care home room.
Sewing curtains.
I HATE sewing. Really. My mother was a skilled sewer. Hell, she actually wrote and edited books on the subject in the UK in the 1970s.
Me? hate it.

Our moving Okaasan's stuff into the care home started well - bright and early we managed to pack all her things into one car and arrived just after 9 am at the next stage of our life with Okaasan. The staff were so welcoming, we had 3 trolleys of stuff to take to the 10th floor. A slight wait for the room key and then - we were in and setting up.
As you can see - the rental bed, wheelchair and walking frame were ready.
We set to with TV and table, clothes boxes, clothes rack, trash box, personal knickknacks...and curtains.

They were too long.
Dear Son had measured the window for me. I'd sized up all the curtains we possess. And chosen the green ones. And washed the net curtains to go with them.

Dear Son hadn't noticed the small heater/air con unit on the wall below the window....both net and green were about 20 cm too long.

Luckily it's Japan on a Sunday morning and 100 Yen shops sell everything. So we went and bought a travel sewing kit and double sided tape for easy-hemming.

No problem! Curtains down again. Both of us in our socks with curtains spread out on the floor. He tried to tape up the net curtains, I attempted sewing on the heavier green ones....the travel sewing kit scissors disintegrated every time I tried to use them...designed for tiny TINY fingers??

Intense concentration. Sounds of the care home echoed around us. The resident who has "Hi ho, Hi ho" - yes, the Disney dwarf song - as their motion sensor alarm song was apparently trying to get to the toilet endlessly...we could here the staff chatting...people moving around.
We sewed and taped on.
Hate sewing. Okaasan may notice bad sewing. May complain. Have to make it look ok. Wish I hadn't sold her sewing machine about 6 days ago.....the tape didn't work. I sewed the net curtains too. Swearing at the scissors.

Finally done.
We hang them up. Um. Not hanging right. Gaps. Looks bad. Even to me. And Dear Son. I try to make them better. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
If Okaasan notices them - she may throw a hissy fit and hate the room. Obviously.

"I think we should get them professionally done?" ventures DS.
I agree. We sigh and take them down again.....finish up the room and head out to lunch, exhausted. Later, deliver the curtains to a local sewing shop - professional lady will do a rush job and have them ready by Okaasan moving day - in 3 days time.....

The rest of the room? We hope it looks ok. We hope she will enjoy the familiar things...
Wash basin area.

The photographs, the clothes, the scarves, the Tv.....
The view....not great today...but there WAS a naked man opening his curtains at 10 am!!!!! I may have to move in myself...










Why did Okaasan cut this pic out of a newspaper ages ago and pin it to the wall? She loves flowers and pink and red - pretty things. Why THIS picture? Anyway, it's come with her to this new home...

So.
Still things the need doing, before Wednesday.
A small shelf near the sink for towels.
Washing stuff.
A nice bath towel.
A curtain to hang above the entrance door, so she feels it is HER room...
Bedside table?

Oh.

And curtains.

Exhausted.
This will all be wonderful eventually.
Now, it is just tiring.
Her old room has great big dusty gaps in it now. I will spend my winter cleaning it and getting rid of a lot of her old stuff. Downsizing....the cats are already living there.

My Okaasan and me time is coming to an end...
9 years.
What will I do with this blog? Living together with Okaasan is coming to an end.
But I will continue, because I sense all of you lovely readers want to know what happens to Okaasan from now on.

And me?
Maybe so? I feeeel your lurve...

onwards....

6 comments:

  1. This free pdf may give you some ideas of what to add to her room - How to make a Sensory Room for people living with dementia: A Guide Book - http://cdn.kingston.ac.uk/documents/faculties/kingston-school-of-art/research-and-innovation/centre-for-research-through-design/projects/How-to-make-a-Sensory-Room-for-people-with-dementia.pdf

    I cannot tell you how happy I am that everything is going well and you are making plans for the future.

    Warm regards,

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was excellent! Thankyou! The good thing is that I feel I know Okaasan well enough to give her room things that will make her relaxed....the pink/red/flowers/Hawaiian things....little towels with roses...little by little. The floor looks kind of bare, but it has to be for the wheelchair and walker - to be safe..I was wondering some kind of floor sticker though....flowers...

      Delete
  2. I hope you continue the blog. I am interested in what happens to you all and too when possible, cat news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat news!!! of course!!! Well, Popo has had a bad eye for about 3? weeks now...some kind of herpes thing. His eye was all gungy and he had a fever. Lots of medicine and a vet stay. Under house arrest - the vet says he must stay warm....he doesn't understand it. DS and I have a difference of opinion about the stay inside order....the eye is better now and I let him out last night....I'm hoping the eye will stay clean....pictures to follow!!

      Delete
  3. I hope you continue blogging. My Japanese in-laws in Kyoto are both in their 80's and both have stage I dementia. Our own family journey is just beginning -- though I do not live with them at the moment, since I'm working in Tokyo. (But my husband does - tanshin funin!) So I really want to read about the next phase -- and I wish you all the best!
    (from Lisa in Tokyo, who has read your blog for years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for reading for such a long time - this is still amazing to me, that people read this....even though I've been a professional writer all my working life...the idea of audience is still a surprise.
      I hope to continue this blog...because we are all interested in what happens to Okaasan and her new life....

      Delete