Friday 21 January 2022

Zooming to a family visit...

 


Never mind Zuckerberg's virtual world ambitions - many of us are already in it.

The care home have offered us an online meet and greet with Okaasan. We'll be Zooming our love.
In this strange time, so much of what we do is online - work, play, ceremonies and visits. Last year I "attended" the funeral service of my my oldest friend's dad in the UK, via a camera link at the back of the chapel - beamed into my computer in Japan at 11 pm. Sat here and watched it in my pajamas.

So. We are going to have family visit time with Okaasan via Zoom. I use it for work and play, and Dear Son doesn't - so I'm the Tech Support for this event.

I'm already wondering what cute filters would be best. Maybe the one with a doggy nose and flowers around the screen? Or shall I go with the rabbit one? My usual background for English classes is a shot of blue sky and Big Ben in London. One of my students is always on a lovely beach with rolling waves and palm trees fluttering in the tropical winds.

On a more serious note: maybe we can screen share some family photographs with her? That's an idea.

As she can't talk, this is going to be a few minutes of us making cheerful conversation as we smile and wave. Maybe Dear Son should wander thru the back of the scene in his underpants. That's always good for an online event laugh...


No comments:

Post a Comment