Monday 15 March 2010

Okaasan hits a bad patch.

Okaasan seems to be in a bad memory patch.
We don't know why.

Since the "Satoshi died?!!" shock on Friday she seemed ok.
We three ate dinner together on Saturday night and chatted.
Yujiro had ski work agaian Sunday so I cooked lunch and ate it with Okaasan.
She chatted on about Korean food and her Korean friend at elementary school. All very familiar stories.
Then she swerved off the usual course and told me that her elementary school was in Shiki in Saitama. ???? I was confused. Shiki is where Yujiro grew up from elementary age onwards. Okaasan as a child lived in Kawagoe.
Of course I looked puzzled and asked Okaasan"Shiki? Didn't you go to school in Kawagoe?". She looked confused. But stuck to the Shiki version of the story. It was all very mixed up. Strange.

Anyway. It was a happy lunch apart from that.

Then last night. Yujiro came home. 3 of us had dinner.
I  did nice sushi for Okaasan and we risked cheese fondue for ourselves, even though the last time we ate fondue Okaasan had a melt down and accused me of terrible deeds.
All seemed well, although I thought Okaasan was a little blue after coming back from her walk.

I talked about the spring clothes in Mitsukoshi department store. How Hokkaido is cold, but the spring clothes are in the stores.
"Really? I haven't been to a department store" Okaasan said.?????

Then we talked about "tomorrow is Monday, it's hula dance day isn't it?"...and suddenly she said.

"Hula Dance is tomorrow? Hula Dance is the first Monday of every month, is tomorrow the first MOnday of the month?".

It was so strange! She's never ever said this. She is always confused about what day is today. And we remind her about hula dance and Mondays. And make sure she sets off by 12 o'clock with her skirt and T-shirt. But she's never had confusion about how many times a month it is.

This came out of the blue.
We had the same conversation about 5 times. She was convinced and very surprised to hear hula dance class is every week and that SHE goes every week.
"Really? I must be losing my memory to think this mustn't I? Really???" she said.

THAT was hard! How much should we agree with that statement?
Sitting there at the kitchen table Yujiro and I were both muttering reassuring things about "yes a little, but you are so active to do hula dance and go walking"...but it was a shock.
WE came upstairs afterwards and talked about it.

WHY has she gone off into this now?
Is it all a fallout from the "Satoshi died?" experience?
We MUST make sure she is having positive experiences this week!

And I am going NOWHERE NEAR HER ROOM THIS WEEK!!!!!
THE NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES CAN STAY EXACTLY WHERE THEY ARE NOW!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hello
    I have been enjoying your blog since Kelly featured it on her blog. Anyway my hub and family are from Shiki. Muneoka area. I lived there too as that is where we met. Ask your man if he knows any Maedas.
    I hope Okasan comes right. And I hope you are feeling better!

    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I have been enjoying your blog since Kelly featured it on her blog. Anyway my hub and family are from Shiki. Muneoka area. I lived there too as that is where we met. Ask your man if he knows any Maedas.
    I hope Okasan comes right. And I hope you are feeling better!

    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    Yes I will ask him...Okaasan used to live over the mian road and down in an area near the river...called Kashiwa-cho?

    ReplyDelete