Friday 10 April 2009

Cooking failure ...again..may as well drink.(J)

I came home from a busy day at work to find that Yujiro was feeling sick and going to bed.

So...we know what that means don't we?.....!!!!

Oyomesan is cooking! Yeah. Oh no. Time to run for the hills.

Okaasan rocked in at 7.30 pm, clutching a usual shopping bag of stuff - some packs of beans, some fried snacks, some jelly snacks...the kind of things old ladies see and buy.

Yujiro had planned to cook Oden. This is a kind of simmered pot of tofu, vegetables, boiled eggs, fish paste etc which is popular in winter and eaten with mustard.
So I checked on the Internet how to cook it. Usually we buy supermarket packs and you just throw the contents of the bag in a pot and heat it.
But there was no pre-cooked bag. Just the raw ingredients.
So I put together all the stuff as the recipes said...seaweed, dried fish flakes, soy sauce, cooking sake, sake, salt...drained off the seaweed and fish flakes - added in the tofu, vegetables, eggs....it all looked good.

But no.... Okaasan said: "No taste. Did you use salt? Not enough salt. No taste. It's not good. Japanese people like strong salt taste...etc etc". She started adding in soy sauce and salt to her food.

Bugger it. I refuse to add that much salt to something I am going to eat. This thing is eaten out of a communal pot in the center of the table, so you can't add extra salt secretly to one portion.
I smiled and made light jokey comments about the differences of cooking styles.

I will NOT let this get to me. I am actually quite a talented person, I am a good teacher, I write well, I ski well, I am creative, I have gardening talents, I can ride a horse, I can nurse sick animals, I'm a good driver...etc.
Not being able to cook food that this old lady likes is not a failure. If she wants better food she should cook it herself.

Anyway. We ate dinner.Then I distracted her away from my cooking by asking questions about the sake-making paste that she'd bought and got her to make amasake - a hot, alcoholic drink made from the left overs of the sake making process. So we sat in the kitchen and drank that and chatted about THAT. Not my cooking.


I dread what is going to happen when Yujiro starts work though. I will have to cook much more than I do now. And I fear that every single dinner will be a disappointment.
Yujiro should have fallen for a Japanese woman who had spent years cooking Japanese food. Then Okaasan wouldn't have to suffer the foreigner's tasteless efforts.


お料理失敗・・・またやっちゃった・・・一杯やったほうがいいわね。

仕事で忙しい一日から家に戻ってみると、ユウが具合悪くてベッドで休んでいたのよ。

そう・・・それがどんな意味かわかるでしょう?・・・!!!!

オヨメサンが料理するのよ! イェーイ。とんでもない。(お義母さん!)避難しなくちゃ!

お義母さんは午後7時30分にいつもの買い物袋を抱えて現れたわ。中には豆のパック、揚げ菓子、ゼリーのお菓子・・・老婦人たちが見て買いそうなものが・・・。

ユウはおでんを作るつもりだったの。これは冬の定番料理で、豆腐や野菜、ゆで卵、魚のすり身なんかを鍋でぐつぐつ煮たもので、からしをつけて食べるのよ。
それで、ワタシはその作り方をインターネットで調べたの。普通はスーパーマーケットでパックを買ってその中身を鍋に入れて温めるだけなのよ。
でもその下ごしらえしたものがなかったの。そのままの材料があっただけ。
それでワタシはレシピ通り全部を一緒に入れたの。昆布、鰹節、しょうゆ、料理酒、日本酒、塩・・・昆布と鰹節は引き上げて、豆腐や野菜や卵を加えて・・・全部よさそうに見えたわ。

でも、だめだった・・・お義母さんは言ったわ。「味がしないわ。お塩をいれたの?足りないわ。味がしないもの。これはよくないわ。日本人は強い塩味がすきなのよ・・・云々」お義母さんは自分のにしょうゆと塩を加え始めたわ。

なんてこと。ワタシが食べようとしているものに塩をこれ以上足すのはお断りよ。これは、食卓の真ん中の皆のお鍋から食べるもので、一人分に特別な塩をこっそりかけることはできないの。ワタシは笑って、料理法の違いについての軽いジョークを飛ばしたわ。

こんなことでは参らないわ。ワタシは本当のところ実に有能な人間で、良い教師で、書くのに長けていて、スキーは上手だし、創造的な人間だし、ガーデニングの才はあるし、馬に乗れるし、病気の動物の看護ができるし、運転が上手、ほかにだって・・・。
老婦人がすきな食べ物を料理することができないことは落第ではないわ。もし、お義母さんがもっとおいしいものを食べたいのだったら、自分で作るべきよ。

なんだかんだあったけど、ワタシたちは夕食を食べたの。それからワタシの料理から気をそらせるために、お義母さんが買った酒粕について尋ね、甘酒を作らせたの。それは日本酒を造る過程ででたものから作った熱いアルコール飲料よ。それで、ワタシたちは台所に座り、それを飲み、それについて話したの。ワタシの料理のことではなくね。

でも、ユウが働き始めたらどんなことが起こるか、ワタシすごく心配よ。今以上にもっと料理しなければならなくなるわ。それにいつもいつも夕食ががっかりしたものになるっていうのも恐ろしいわ。
ユウはずっと和食を作ってきた日本女性と恋におちるべきだったのよ。それならお義母さんは外国人の無味乾燥な料理で苦しまなければならないことはないものね。

No comments:

Post a Comment